Maintaining your hair is relatively easy once you know how to care for it. Hair is made of protein, so keeping a healthy diet and practising good hygiene are essential parts of maintaining luscious locks. If you want beautiful hair, start by washing and conditioning it properly.
Here are Few Steps to Washing Your Hair Properly
- Wash hair sparingly and use a good-quality shampoo –Washing hair too often can leave hair dried out, leached of its natural oils, and may damage your hair. Aim to shampoo your hair at most every other day or only twice a week.
- Try shampoos that do not contain sulfates or parabens– Sulfates are the chemicals that make shampoos lather up. Parabens are preservatives that cause irritation and eye problems after prolonged use. Both of these chemicals aren’t healthy for you or the environment so try to use shampoos with natural cleansers. Choose a shampoo that suits your hair type. Don’t just go for any old shampoo; go for the shampoo that works for your hair type. Typical types include (but are not limited to):
- Curly or Afro-textured hair probably wants frizz-minimizing or softening shampoo that is creamy and has natural oils in it.
- Straight or oily hair probably wants a gentle shampoo designed for daily washing.
- Coloured or treated hair probably needs a shampoo that’s fortified with extracts or amino acids, because treating your hair is essentially damaging it.
- Dry hair probably needs shampoos with glycerine and collagen to help restore some moisture into the hair.
- Be careful about using hair care products with too much protein– too much protein can leave your hair feeling desiccated and brittle. While protein is the building block of healthy hair, use conditioners that come with balanced ingredients.
- Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar once every month– Doing this helps to make your hair look shinier and cleaner; plus, it treats dandruff. Use 1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts warm water, then rinse and wash your hair as normal. Vinegar has a strong smell, but it will go away after you shampoo your hair.