By Ekemini Etukudo
It turns out that the “new year, new me” strategy is compatible with a great deal more than just our objectives. The start of a new year provides the ideal opportunity to try something new. While large corporations are establishing their goals or global industries are adapting to new developments, taking advantage of opportunities to shake things up is also central to the fashion industry.
Therefore, as expected this new year, we’re eager to see a few striking recent fads take to the middle stage for the current year. We can’t wait to see what 2023 has in store for women’s fashion—think gothic lace, asymmetrical angles, and shimmering silver. Therefore, a list of the seven most anticipated fashion trends for women for the year 23 has been compiled.
- Lace is the one material that has dominated the most recent runways. It is making a comeback with some reimagining. Usually, lace is presented with a more feminine flair and girlish glamour, but we are excited to see the more confident and unique pairing of lace coming this season. Lace is more prominent in long, elegant maxi dresses in recent designs. This includes wearing clever cutwork, drawing inspiration from high-end lingerie, and wearing unabashedly gothic designs, given that Wednesday Adams is still ruling the fashion world
- Gothic: Ironically, this coincides with the expanding lace trend. Even though we first saw that the main character in the movie titled Wednesday on Netflix hit our screens, her fashion influence is expected to last well into 2023. Her gothic influence will be seen in everything from new uses of black lace and organza to prints and embellishments featuring classic gothic iconography (think tombstones and crosses).
- Denim jeans will never lose their status as a “classic.” However, using denim to create asymmetrical angles and rigid artistic shapes excited us. Think of Bella Hadid’s Givenchy bra to get the idea of what we’re talking about when we say that these range from rogue new jean cuts to fitted military-style tops. Denim is more adaptable than you might think: believe us. Additionally, we are eagerly awaiting its contribution.
- Metallic silver fabrics: Fashion is ready for fun after a year dominated by nudes and monochrome. Shimmering metallic fabrics that resemble liquid silver are one of the hottest trends for 2023. These materials are ideal for draping and flowing designs. They are eye-catching piece that exudes just the right amount of class. We also need to get more of the creative ways that major fashion houses are experimenting with silver right now.
- Blazers: Now, for something completely different in terms of glam. Blazers and blazer dresses began their upward trend toward the end of 2022. And this certainly is not diminishing. Oversized blazers are everywhere, especially at Chanel and Valentino. While still achieving the same chic effect, these give off a much more laid-back, slouchy vibe than their usual sharply cut counterparts. In addition, we are curious to see how the blazer dress style progresses into 2023. Mini dresses and blazers from Victoria Beckham’s line are currently firmly establishing the style as one of this year’s fashion trends.
- Utility and cargo: Do you remember when khaki was everywhere? Indeed, it’s back furiously. The utility trend as a whole is also. There are never-ending reimaginings of utility and cargo outfits that combine the essence of cargo “fits” with glitz. Think of stiff cargo shorts cut into playful pleats and super-short angles, experiments with boilersuits, and traditional sheer cargo pants.
- Angles and cutouts: We’ve talked about this trend a few times, so you know it will be big. We will see a much more daring approach to angling across the board, including all clothing and materials. You can get this idea from the asymmetrical hems, cleverly designed cutouts, and sharp edges. We support this approach because it is both playful and sexy at the same time.
2023 may have just begun, but now you know how to dress to the trends. You may not want to duplicate the exact runway outfits, but if you take these features and use them in your wardrobe, you will be the best dressed this year.