By Goodnews Buekor
Vegetable sauce has always been at the top of the list of doctors’ recommendations as a source of daily intake for important nutrients.
Beyond this, vegetables can add colour, texture and flavours to your meals. The variety mix can literally light up your taste buds and spark an appetite.
Vegetable sauce is an all-time favourite for most Nigerians and is commonly chosen over the conventional tomato stew.
This is because of its added nutritional value and colourful appearance that makes it all the more inviting.
For busy moms, the vegetable sauce can serve as your go-to meal because it is simple to prepare, does not take a lot of time and, the ingredients are easy to come by.
This all-purpose vegetable sauce can be eaten alone or eaten with a side carb dish commonly, rice, yam, beans, potato, or spaghetti.
Amazons Watch has compiled for you a quick and easy method that saves time and can be enjoyed by the entire family.
- 10 medium-sized fresh tomatoes
- 5 red bell peppers
- 1 onion bulb
- A can of precooked beef (or any protein of your choice)
- 5 carrots
- A handful of vegetables (spinach or pumpkin or any other vegetable of your choice).
- Vegetable oil
- 1 clove of ginger and garlic (optional)
- Soy sauce
- Chili Pepper
- 2 seasoning cubes
- Wash tomatoes, onions, carrots and spinach separately and chop them into small pieces.
- Wash the bell peppers and take out their seeds, then chop them into small pieces.
- Wash ginger and garlic, grate and set aside.
To be able to cook this vegetable sauce in record time, the above preparations can be done in advance and kept in the fridge or freezer if you want to store it for longer.
Cooking (10 minutes)
- Place your cooking pan on medium heat and add 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- When the oil is mildly heated, add your chopped onions and stir.
- Add your chopped carrot and pepper, and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add your grated ginger and garlic.
- Add your pre-cooked beef or chicken (or any protein of your choice) and stir.
- Add your chopped tomatoes and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add a quarter tablespoon of chilli pepper and salt to taste.
- Add a tablespoon of soy sauce and two seasoning cubes (you could add to your desired taste).
- Add your chopped scallion and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add your spinach or pumpkin. Stir and allow to combine.
- Cook for 30 seconds. Stir and taste for seasoning.
Viola!! Your tasty vegetable sauce is ready to be served.
When next you get stuck and do not know what to serve for dinner or lunch, try out this recipe.